Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2013 16:48:47 +0000

Due the federal government shutdown, the Smithsonian American Art Museum and its Renwick Gallery are closed until further notice. All daytime and evening events at the museum are also canceled. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please visit our website and online calendar after 10 a.m each day to check the status of public programs.

The major international symposium American Art in Dialogue with Africa and its Diaspora , scheduled to take place Oct. 4-5, will be moved offsite to the auditorium at the National Museum of Women in the Arts, located four blocks from the museum at 1250 New York Avenue N.W. Seating will be limited at this alternate location; details for registered participants are online.   If the federal government shutdown ends by noon on Thursday, Oct. 3, and Smithsonian museums are reopened by Friday, Oct. 4, the event will take place at the Smithsonian American Art Museum and proceed as originally planned. Please check our website at www.americanart.si.edu/research/symposia/2013/terra/ for updates, and thank you for your understanding and patience.

Amelia Goerlitz

Smithsonian American Art Museum