From:
Cary Karp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 06:49:34 +0200
Quoting David Lintz:

> Was just .mus considered for brevity's sake or would that be
> confused with something else?

When the discussion of the creation of new top-level domains was
initiated in 1996 it was stated that the new domains would have
three, four or five letter designations. Corresponding
abbreviations were therefore listed when the museum case was
first presented.

The final call for proposals didn't say anything about the length
of a permissible new domain name. The full word "museum"  was
therefore added to the list of suggestions in both single and
plural forms. The six-letter alernative is indicated as the
preferred form. It is a Latin term and recognized, if not used,
in large areas of the world. Further, as you say, it is
unambiguous whereas briefer forms are not. Personally, I think
.mus has a nice ring to it, but I'd guess that the music industry
(where, by the way, I have my roots) might not be all that crazy
about it.

The true internationalization of the linguistic basis for the
Domain Name System is a high-priority issue and it is proposed
that alias designations for .museum be provided in any language
that may be put forth as this process continues.

/Cary