From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:11:35 -0400
On 6/19/07, Christopher A. Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> However, some studios are only one person -- with truly nothing but spit for
> a budget. That was me for many years, producing award-winning documentaries,
> fund raisers, and visitor information pieces for small, no-budget museums --
> and for large, "no-budget" museums also. Indy producers of theatrical
> features often make their films on shoestrings as well. The concept that
> filmmakers are rolling in money is a mis-impression I had to unlearn too --
> and did as soon as I got into the business!

I agree with you about movie companies not rolling in money but
companies working for cable channels like the Discovery Channel or
associated with major film companies have the money, even though they
will sing you the "we have no budget" song.

Even small charges for filming or using museum pieces will make film
crews act extra careful when they know they are paying for a space or
prop. They will still need to be watched and carefully supervised no
matter how small the crew is. One guy with a camera can knock over
lamps, trip over carpet, or bump into tables full of historic china.

And if you are a small time filmmaker with no budget, do you want to
take the risk of using historical artifacts and film in historical
houses without insurance or a way to pay for loss or damages? There
are grants that can be obtained for filming and the local film board
might even be able to sponsor small films for museums and non-profits.

Deb