From:
"VANBUREN, STEPHEN" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:45:15 -0500
This very old ID argument (at least since William Paley (1802) and the
so-called "watchmaker proof of God", and perhaps earlier) doesn't seem
to change. It still seems to be mixing things together with the same
terms (with different meanings). Mix in a little of Berkeley's idealism
(we truly exist only in the mind of God), and some of Kant's view of
phenomena (we experience only that part of existence our senses permit
us to detect), and anything at all can be pointed to as a 'proof' of
God.

I personally don't have any problem mixing the apple of my faith with
the orange of reason, but then people tell me most such salads seem to
have a few nuts mixed in.

Stephen "Pass the Mayo, and d__n the teleology!" aka Salad Boy

PS: the Berkeley/Kant things may be somewhat simplified.

Stephen Van Buren, C.A.
UNIVERSITY Archivist and Special Collections Librarian
BL241/Box 2115
North Campus Drive
Brookings, SD  57007
605-688-4906