From:
Robert MacKimmie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 1994 12:25:46 -0700
We are doing a major visual imaging project.  What I would recommend
is the SAA photographic archives management guide (sorry, don't have
the title) because it is a fairly comprehensive and detailed
overview.

As far as cataloging the images, the LCTGM is a really good start,
considering it is a subset of LC most pertinent to visual images.  We
of course find the LCSH heading to be absolutely vital in getting any
kind of meaningful detail into the records, and the new AAT is just
out and rounds out the cataloging effort.  LS's Graphic Materials
Descriptive Terms is also a good standardized thesaurus for genre and
physical characteristics.

We are cataloging directly into the RLIN database and plan to have
matching images available over the net in the future.

My main plea to anyone undertaking visual image digital or cataloging
projects, use the standardized thesauri and MARC if you can. Though
museum folk tend to run from MARC and standardized thesauri, they are
extremely important when an institution wants to do any meaningful
communication with the rest of the world. There are more similarities
in our holdings than not, and the more we get on line and can share
our cataloging efforts, the bigger the rewards, and the more
meaningful our scholarship.

Cheers,
Robert MacKimmie
Curatorial Director of Photography
California Historical Society, San Francisco
415-567-1848