Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 05:58:06 -0700
You are correct.  They are not precisely synonymous.

That as the predicate, how else are many of the institutions supposed to be sustained?  If the concept is that Corporate America and private donors will support museums, in large measure, that is simply untrue.  How many institutions on this list rely on federal funding in some way or another in order to keep their doors open?  I don't mention it often (or at least I don't think it's often), but I provide a MuseFunding list for this community.  For many years, I've been providing grant sources from the US government.  Over the course of the last several weeks, though I have checked my subscriptions repeatedly, there are no grants coming through.  Given the economy is in the toilet, highly steeped in sewage, I understand why that may be but it is disconcerting nonetheless.

In the 80s, when my kids were in school, there were many great corporate donors.  My daughter benefitted highly from Arco's sponsorship of Junior Achievement, and she, in fact, was one of their poster kids in the LA area (and 1 of 4 chosen to meet the First Lady at the time).  The corporation I worked for made very generous donations.  The corporation I now work for makes some.  But the fact of the matter is that they are not making the same kinds of donations, and, in many respects, not supporting the arts.  There's been a decline in large donor giving through time, and if the large donors have just lost barrels of money, they are less apt to donate because they have less discretionary income.  Given the fact that there's a push on one side of the partisan ticket to get rid of the estate tax (which will diminish some of the donations currently made because such donations are a write-off), where, then will the money come from?

Let's take this a step further.  I am absolutely a fan of science and find genuine value in astronomy.  Where else are we going to educate the masses about the sciences?  Schools don't have the money they should, and, with No Child Left Behind, spend their time prepping for a test and not garnering a well-rounded education.  This places our students behind many of the world in this regard.

Maybe I'm missing something.  My understanding is that most museums struggle to keep the doors open and wages are commensurately abysmal.  There are few exceptions.  Are you suggesting that the government should not provide funding to museums, number one, and number two, if that is the case, should we then, according to your philosophy, shut down all museums (extrapolated further to include National Parks, zoos, libraries, and other like insitutions) that are run by the government?  How do you propose that they be funded?  What measures can be used that are not currently employed to achieve that result?