From:
"jen.rignani" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 20:05:45 -0500
George:

First time jumping in to reply, so hope this is correctly transmitted:

I will answer the question not as the graduate student in the Museum Studies program at Duquesne University that I am, but as the nonprofit manager that I have been for ten years. In my experience, any business plan that is prepared for a nonprofit organization should think, read and be packaged like a "for-profit" plan. The key difference being, you are not making a case for widgets, you are making a case for a public institution that is adding value to the community.

Keeping your "for-profit" tone throughout is important as you describe goals, succinctly stated measurable milestones of achievement over a specific period of time (funding sources, staffing, growth, budget, marketing, etc.). Doing this will better position you will be for philanthropic investors, potential board members and your corporate sponsors. Further, think of your business plan as a "road map". It should be something clear, narrative and in plain language that you and anyone else can pull out to make a case for support from the public.

I can send you sample business proposals from the for profit world and/or one from the current nonprofit organization with whom I am employed. If you are interested, email me at [log in to unmask]

Good luck -- once you get started, you'll be glad you did. It isn't as hard as you think!

Jennifer Rignani
Duquesne University Museum Studies
Director of Development, $1 Energy Fund
Pittsburgh, PA