From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:04:35 EST

Yes, yes Maggie...I think so too and am echoing the theater vs. museum
issue. As I was writing my thoughts about the actor vs. re-enactor  post
earlier...the very question as to why a history organization would have to  do this in
the first place was a haunting refrain. And indeed, the County does  need to be
aware of the separate goals of these organizations and should strive  (and be
responsible) to preserve the character of each.

As for Mark Twain...I would think any 'popular' portrayal of him would be
entertaining above all else. And for sure, these productions for  entertainment
purposes have increased public interest in Mark Twain and his work  and
therefore the organizations which serve to preserve and  promote his legacy. And the
topic of the entertainment industry and museums  has been an interesting
discussion on the list. It even crossed my mind that it  would be fun to do a real
'night at the museum' at the CCC Museum. But it  wouldn't be any fun for
attendees who are afraid of mice.

And so far from the posts, I like the use of  'character  interpreter'  to
describe portraying a role for the goal of  education. I believe that would best
describe my most recent  endeavor.

For the CCC educational program ('Fireside Chat') that I did at the  Vernon
Historical Society Museum a couple of weeks ago...I did a short skit as  part
of a presentation. The VHSM has a stage that was decorating in a Victorian
Christmas -had a fireplace and furnishings along with the X-Mas decorations.

Anyway, I was dressed in a CCC uniform (with a cap, covering up my  hair) and
had my back to the audience so that they wouldn't see that I'm a  female. My
son was on stage, sitting opposite me and facing the audience. Before  the
curtain opened, we started playing a CD (hidden of course) with a recording  of
one of FDR's Fireside Chats. We had an authentic 30's radio on the table and
did everything we could to make it seem as though the recording was actually
coming from the radio.

The skit was short, and to have everything in place for even
this....required much time and effort on the details and this required some  artistic flair
too of course.  I worked out our blocking on the stage  and we rehearsed this
and our timing too.

To conclude the skit, I stood up (back to the audience) and my son  (while as
a undefined character)...shook my hand and recited this line,  "it's so
wonderful that you've had the opportunity to enroll in the CCC,  especially since
you're a girl, and the only girl who has been allowed to  enroll. I'm glad to
know you, Mildred Blanche." Then I turned towards the  audience, removed the
CCC cap, letting my hair fall. I immediately left the  character as quickly as
she was introduced, and told the audience what little I  knew of Mildred and I
began my presentation.

The skit I wrote, though based on some fact -was not an actual depiction of
an actual event ...it was a characterization.

The little theatrical production was meant to be entertaining and to  set the
stage for my presentation. And the skit went much better than the
presentation..it's been quite a long time since I spoke in front of so many  people...so
the skit also served to help me ease into the presentation. I really  didn't
want to do a straight lecture.

ooops sorry about the rambling thoughts. And my point in doing so
is....um...we can use the arts as a venue towards our mission to educate,  but we should
not compromise that mission (or be required to) in order to  comply with an
organization that has a different mission. I'm referring to the  'Countys'
commission, of course. Just by their questioning/considering any  difference(s)
there may be between that of an actor, re-enactor or historical  interpreter
means they are, as you well state Maggie, blurring the lines. They  should,
instead be aware of and consider the value and goal of  an artistic endeavor used
by a history organization in it's own right.

Pam

In a message dated 1/29/2007 8:23:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,