From:
Shana West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:14:56 -0700
Wow.

Museums here must be as concerned with their reputation as with their
'mission to enlighten the public' for a number of reasons: funding and
audience being the biggest two I can think of at the moment.  'Enlightening'
the public is so passe'.

If we know of something we wish to change, confronting someone directly and
with an attitude of 'enlightenment' is not going to get us far.  These
things take time and respect.  They take patience to wait for opportunities
that allow peaceful negotiations.  At least, they do in places such as
museums - who wants to learn in an atmosphere of conflict and guilt?

Perhaps it's difficult for Americans to address nudity.  I'm sure you
wouldn't have to look far to find issues in your own country with which you
have such impatience.  There is everywhere room to improve.

Shana