From:
David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2012 13:54:50 -0400
 As Kathie said, "...at the risk of being obvious, I would suggest the free or low-cost training opportunity of visiting other museums as much as possible"

I agree, visiting other museums (live and in person) is best, but when I need some new inspiration I'll often take "virtual" trips to other museums.    Skip the museum websites, I want to see what fin, interesting creative things catch the eye of the average visitor, so I do my "virtual visiting" by way of Flickr.    You can either start with a museum you want to visit, or simply start searching for "tags" (museum, fun, interactive, wow!, exhibit, display, etc....)   There are also several Flickr Groups devoted to museums, museum exhibits exhibit design, museum labels, and such . . .   Here are a few:

Museum Exhibitry and Media Best Practices
http://www.flickr.com/groups/networkmedia/

National Association for Museum Exhibitions (NAME)
http://www.flickr.com/groups/name-aam/

Great Exhibitions
http://www.flickr.com/groups/greatexhibitions/

Museum Labels
http://www.flickr.com/groups/labels/

At the museum
http://www.flickr.com/groups/40181466@N00/

Traveling Museum Exhibitions
http://www.flickr.com/groups/tme/

AAM 19th Annual Excellence in Exhibition Competition
http://www.flickr.com/groups/eec07/

- David -
David Lewis, Curator
Aurora Regional Fire Museum