From:
"Arthur H. Harris" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:48:12 -0700
We include the following on the Centennial Museum home page:

"Original materials on the Centennial Museum web site are
copyrighted. Limited use for educational purposes is allowed
provided proper credit is given to the Centennial Museum and any
identified copyright holder. Commercial use of images or text, in
whole or in part, is expressly forbidden without formal approval.
Contact the Centennial Museum for copyright information."

This pretty well sums up our current philosophy.  A credit line
always should be given, whether the user is a museum or a private
individual.  Ideally, we'd like to be given the courtesy recently
shown by a French student who politely asked permission to use one
of our images in her thesis.  As for use on web sites of private
individuals, it wouldn't be remiss to politely inform them that the
material is copyrighted and that they are in violation of copyright
law if they haven't received permission (in many cases, I'm sure
it's a matter of ignorance rather than an attempt to steal).

"Harper, Lucy" wrote:

> We would appreciate a sense of the list re: the etiquette of placing images
> from other museums on museum or museum-related websites.  The Memorial Art
> Gallery of the University of Rochester has found several instances of images
> from our collection showing up on other websites, without our permission
> having been sought, or credit having been given...

> Lu Harper
> webmaster
> Memorial Art Gallery of the University of Rochester

Art Harris
--
Laboratory for Environmental Biology
Centennial Museum (Natural and Cultural History)