From:
Jen Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 21:31:27 PST
The Museum Computer Network MCN web page offers links to copyright and
intellectual property resources under "resources."  (Also they offer
links to what looks like all museums found on the web, for those doing
museums on the web research.)  Check them out at:

http://www.mcn.edu

Also, there is a conference Museums and the Web in March 1999 that will
offer sessions on copyright issues.  Perhaps contacting them or checking
out their web site could point you in the right direction:

http://www.archimuse.com/mw99/

I hope that helps.
Jen

>Date:         Wed, 18 Nov 1998 16:33:42 -0500
>From:         "Harper, Lucy" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Web etiquette re: other museums' images
>To:           [log in to unmask]
>
>We would appreciate a sense of the list re: the etiquette of placing
images
>from other museums on museum or museum-related websites.  The Memorial
Art
>Gallery of the University of Rochester has found several instances of
images
>from our collection showing up on other websites, without our
permission
>having been sought, or credit having been given.  We are formulating a
web
>image permissions policy before communicating with the sites in
question,
>and would appreciate any philosophical and/or suggested ideas for
inclusion
>in our policy statement.  Some of these are websites are that promote
>themselves as museum interest-related.
>
>Granted that there are some images that are in public domain in the US,
(and
>which may or may not be in public domain in their country of origin)
and