From:
"Scott D. Peters" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:22:54 -0500
We use a system of "X" numbers, such as X.4500.? to donate "items found in
collection." Usually that means stuff that got lost in the record keeping
shuffle. We hope to sort it out as our cataloging proceeds.
In some cases I'll assign "X" numbers to collections or items awaiting
formal accessioning or, more often, public records in our collection or
received for accessioning as temporary identifiers until we are finish
coordinating our public record cataloging with State Archives.

Scott D. Peters
Research Director/Archivist
Ocean County Historical Society
26 Hadley Ave., P.O. Box 2191
Toms River, NJ 08754-2191
(732) 341-1880

"Telling the Stories of Ocean County"

Historically Speaking
ALHFAM -FPIPN vice-chair for trivia, errata and miscellany

"The ordinary distinctions in society are often vague, and imply no just
pre-eminence: rank and titles are
adventitious things and instead of designating merit or virtue, are
frequently the baubles of imbecility, or
the sparkling decorations of meretricious pageantry"

William Griffith, on behalf, and by order of the New-Jersey Society for
promoting the gradual Abolition
of Slavery, Twelfth Month (December) 20th, 1803