From:
John Suau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2012 10:42:22 -0400

Dear Museum-L members,

We are considering a GROUPON offer for local residents in the Lee County
Florida area, which GROUPON says they have over 160,000 subscribers. I have
done a thorough analysis of cost/benefits using information provided at
GROUPON and other museums, but want some candid real experiences from other
museum professionals who have used GROUPON to generate new audiences and
market their museums.

My main question is: does ADMISSION for a group discount work versus
MEMBERSHIP to the museum? Has anyone seen a difference (ie, done both) or
have there been any serious issues arising from offering a discount to
membership (ie, existing members renew at discounted rate)?

I appreciate any and all candid responses to my posting on or off line.

Warm regards from Florida,

John T. Suau <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Public Relations & Marketing Manager

The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum <http://www.shellmuseum.org/>

3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road

Sanibel, Florida 33957