From:
Dawn Scher Thomae <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:16:33 -0500
Keely: Thus far you have you have received excellent practical advice on the
the process of cataloging.  My advice is of a slightly different nature and
concerns the individuals who will be working for you. First of all, how do
you know they are all capable of cataloging objects?  Most people think that
if you provide instructions, both verbally and written, that everyone can do
it.  As someone who has trained over 80 people in this process through the
years, I find that not everyone is equal when it comes to cataloging.

Some get confused by the process even after going over it three or four
times.  Their minds just don't work in a systematic linear matter.

Some loose interest and leave or do not make an effort to produce a
consistent product.

Some do not have good handwriting. A must in some of the paperwork where I
am employed.

Some cannot for the life of them write good artifact descriptions
(objectively).

Some have trouble with research either not being able to find it without
help or finding too much and not being able to make a decision on what is
necessary.  You need to specify how much information is suitable for this
purpose and that you do not need a dissertation. Having specific fields
identified will help you and your volunteer/intern.

Some cannot use a digital camera and put it on the computer to save (or
whatever method you use).  Fear of technology.

Also do you already know how much supervision they will need?  Some are
self-motived and can work fine independantly, others need a cataloging
partner, still others need to have questions answered every 15 minutes
because they are afraid of making mistakes.  Still there are the others that
barge ahead without direction and then you have to back track to correct
their errors.

Hopefully you already know the qualifications and abilities of these
individuals.  If you don't, you might want to test them and find out what
their strengths and weaknesses are by having them catalog one object all the
way through the process or one small group of objects. From this exercise,
you might determine that you need one to work exclusively on writing
descriptions, one or two working on research, one doing photography, etc.

With that said, I think 4000 by the end of the year is a bit ambitious if it
includes research and their vacations and sick days. You also have to
include your own time in supervising the small crew and checking all of
their work.

Dawn Scher Thomae
Milwaukee Public Museum