From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2015 08:28:00 +1200
Welcome back to GLOBAL MUSEUM, your award-winning & free online compendium,
read weekly since 1998 by 8,000 readers in more than 201 countries.

***   " I love Global Museum! I pull stories for my weekly email to our
docents and they enjoy them too. My colleagues even asked to know where I
found them because the stories are so interesting. " - User Feedback   ***

Four Pages of the Latest Museum News & Free Online subscription.
http://www.globalmuseum.org

**  'Waterloo? That's an Abba song, not a battle'

The Duke’s leather wellington boots will be on display, along with his
battle sword, campaign silver, and a collection of handwritten battle orders
never shown in public before

**  Museum Hats explores the Silk Road

The exhibition presents a colourful selection of headdresses, hats and,
skullcaps from the Fling Collection and examines the history, provenance
and, cultural backgrounds from which the works come

**  First in Flight? Connecticut Stakes a Claim

Mr. Whitehead’s supporters say the Smithsonian’s opinion is coloured by
politics, and that its curators are bound by a contract that requires them
to deny that anyone flew before the Wrights

ARE YOU ONE OF THE 3,470?

Our Community on the LinkedIn Platform - Join the Global Museum Social
Network - Meet& Make Friends, Share Photos & Videos, Blog, Use the Forum,
Join A Group.

Become one of our first 4,000 members.  Join Today at
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Globalmuseum-3968927

** A Patronizing Argument Against Cultural Repatriation

One of the most patronizing arguments used by supporters to defend museums’
rights to keep such artifacts is that had colonial powers not taken these
objects, they would have been destroyed in the conflicts and disasters

**  Bearded men bottles to ward off 17th century witches

Typical contents included bent bronze pins, bent nails, human hair, nail
clippings and urine

**  The horror of it was more than I can describe

Force-feeding was used in British prisons against hunger-striking
suffragettes from 1909 and against hunger-striking conscientious objectors
during and after World War I

**  Conservation of a clove boat

My workbench temporarily turned into something close to a shipyard when a
model boat made of cloves arrived in the Organic Artefacts Conservation
Studio

_______________

Follow Us On Twitter - http://twitter.com/globalmuseum

125K Museum News Tweets from around the Globe, 4,245 Followers worldwide and
growing fast

________________

**  After Losing His Sight This Painter Feels The Colours On His Canvas

Through sense of touch he is able to determine the correct paint colour,
noting that "because oil paints are made from different substances they have
a viscosity and texture that varies slightly from colour to colour."

**  Fake bats, non-people and soccer tips from Chairman Mao

From the cult of Mao to Tiananmen Square and the man who sifted through half
a million discarded negatives at a dump in Beijing, a new exhibition traces
over a century of strange and sensational Chinese visuals

**  Aboriginal Australian Art Tells the Most Important Ancient Stories

Most of what we call Aboriginal art is a modern solution to the desperate
problem of communicating with an uncomprehending world

**  Why I require FBI agents to visit the Holocaust Museum

The Holocaust was also the most horrific display in world history of our
humanity, of our capacity for evil and for moral surrender

_____________

Become a Facebook Follower -  Join 1,974 of  us who Like Global Museum on
Facebook  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Global-Museum/129179522574?

_____________

**  Elton John’s glasses stolen from Rock ‘n’ Soul Museum

Sir Elton John watches over the Rock N Soul Museum, but someone wasn’t
watching when a crook took off with his famous heart-shaped shades

**  How ISIS created a terrorist art market

The ideologically-driven destruction of priceless Iraqi artifacts by Islamic
State may be a ruse that actually hides a much more cynical operation, in
which fakes are smashed to pieces while real treasures are smuggled out of
the country and sold on the black market to fund the terrorist army

**  How Einstein's Brain Ended Up at the Mütter Museum in Philadelphia

It’s hard to say what Einstein would have thought about his brain’s ultimate
destination: He was rather direct about what he wanted to happen to his body
after he died

**  Feds Disclose Recording Of Gardner Museum Heist Suspect Negotiating Sale
Of Art

The Hartford mobster the FBI believes may be the last, best hope for
tracking down hundreds of millions of dollars in art stolen from Boston's
Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, has been arrested again, and a prosecutor
disclosed that the FBI has a recording of Gentile negotiating the sale of
stolen Gardner paintings with an undercover operative

__

Pin Us on Pinterest. Global Museum's Pinterest Boards - Enjoy!

1,352 Pins, 283 Followers http://pinterest.com/globalmuseum/museums/

__

**  Peter Jackson opens World War I museum in New Zealand

Taking a break from filmmaking, Peter Jackson has created a museum
exhibition he hopes will broaden people's perception of World War I from
monochrome to colour

**  Residents outraged as History Museum sells artifacts to auction firm

Last week, a dumpster appeared in front of the Victorian and Craemer said
prized museum relics were thrown out as trash

**  Rethinking extinction

Viewing every conservation issue through the lens of extinction threat is
simplistic and usually irrelevant

**  Top scientist at Natural History Museum sacked for insisting 'I've seen
Nessie'

Secret files reveal how eminent zoologist Dr Denys Tucker fired from Natural
History Museum in 1960 after claiming to have spotted Loch Ness Monster

__

Add Us To Your Google+ Circles – 163,795 in Circles.   6,317 in Community so
far - https://plus.google.com/109387399901726606466

__

**  New museum showcases history of Indians in Singapore

Nestled in the heart of Little India, amid its busy streets and alleyways,
is a new museum that houses ancient artefacts dating back to Indian empires
of yore

**  Belonging

Galway International Summer School on the Arts and Human Rights

**  Victorian Futures: Culture, democracy and the state on the road to
Olympicopolis

Thursday 14 May - Friday 15 May 2015

**  Culture across Boundaries

Conference on museum challenges and possibilities for future Nordic
collaboration

**  This Week's Horoscope

Libra - You thought whale-watching sounded harmless enough, but now that
they've decided to watch you back, it's really starting to become a problem

All this and more for you at Global Museum - See the latest museum JOBS,
PINTEREST PINS, BOOKSHOP, RESOURCES, HOT JOB TIPS, great people posting
their RESUMES, SOCIAL MEDIA, the GM LinkedIn Network, Museum Accredited
Courses – New News & Opportunities Daily!  http://www.globalmuseum.org.