From:
Lana Newhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 13:08:00 -0500
Perhaps MSI removed the memorial because they didn't want anyone to trip.

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/13/03 11:15AM >>>
I think the subject of memorials is a tricky situation.  For one thing, the
museum does want to avoid bad publicity and especially any public perception
that they may have been negligent.  A memorial, either inside or outside the
museum may serve only as a reminder of the accident and turn museum space
into something of a grave site.

The other problem is purely practical.  Many times these memorials contain
candles and flowers.  Both of which I feel are inappropriate for inside the
museum.  An outdoor space would take care of this issue.  However, a
memorial creates its own questions: When is it appropriate to take down? Who
receives the drawings, notes and various non-perishable items once it had
been removed?  These could lead to an even greater PR nightmare down the
road.

The museum may be wise in skirting these issues altogether by simply not
allowing a memorial.  If I were there, I would suggest letting the public
know that anything left at the museum in memorial would be immediately
forwarded to the girl's family who would take the most comfort from it.

-Jenny

Jenny E. Benjamin, MA
Director, Museum of Vision
EyeCare America