From:
Lana Newhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:07:00 -0500
Don't stop sweeping even after everything is back under control.  Change the sweeper bag regularly (weekly preferably) because the little pests aren't necessarily killed by the sweeper and they crawl out only to infest again.  Work out a cleaning schedule, too.  This way things will at least be inspected once every month or two.  Train all your staff and volunteers on how to clean and how to recognize a potential problem.

Get a chest freezer, even if it's one of those smaller things.  At least you can freeze little stuff and most textiles.  For large furniture items you will need to rent/get donated either a refridgerated truck or walk-in freezer.  The wonderful thing about freezing is it works on 90% of the pests out there.

Lana Newhart-Kellen
Registrar
Conner Prairie Museum
13400 Allisonville Road
Fishers  IN  46038

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/30/03 11:00AM >>>
Ok all, I have a serious problem and need some advice.

 I have just recently started working at my museum. The building has been open since '94. and I just discovered what I believe to be carpet beetle casings on numerous objects in the permanent cases and in our period sitting room. Obviously this is BAD but now what do I do. I have only found casings no live bugs. To make matters more difficult I don't think the cases have been opened or the sitting room cleaned and inspected since close to the beginning of the permanent exhibit being set up. (Like many museums we started with volunteer staff and are slowly moving to professionals. I am only the second person with museum training to be hired.) So I don't know how old of casings I am looking at, nor do I have a place to isolate or freeze these items. The best I can do is put the smaller items in an anoxic microenvironment. I am in the process of having the casings removed and the pieces vacuumed. Then I plan to monitor to see if more casings appear. However I am open to any suggestions as to how to proceed.

Thanks in advance