From:
Suzanne Quigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 00:30:34 -0500
Colleagues,

For those of you who asked that I share the info I had gleaned on scanners
- I apologize - I did not save it...

I was looking for quick and dirty confirmation of feelings about two
particular scanners I was considering (solely on the basis of their
availability and a couple of recommendations from colleagues.  Research
suggested that I buy a UMAX Vista S8 24 bit color scanner 800dpi.  It comes
with Photoshop LE (Limited Edition - which means it doesn't have the full
range of capabilities as Full Photoshop).  After checking with two mail
order companies, with my IS office at the Guggenheim, with museum-l'ers and
with some of the larger chains, I decided to buy it from the apple dealer
on my block who gave me the best price (far and away!) of $691.  It cannot
do slides, but an adaptor can be had for under $300 and photoshop can be
upgraded for around $200 should I ever want to do color separations (which
presently is unnecessary for my purposes).  I apologize for not saving the
comparative info for redistribution.  Next time I will be more considerate
of y'all.

Suzanne