From:
Suzanne Quigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 20:25:38 -0500
Steven et al.,

I'm shopping for picture carts, too.  But I've reached the conclusion that
every museum has come up with their own solution.  Nevertheless it would be
great if we could tackle this one as a topic for all the REGISTRARS on the
list (and any stray art handlers who might be lurking!).

What are some good features of picture carts?  When I was at Detroit Inst
of Arts, our carts were carpeted, were constructed to look like an "L" from
the side, and the back (the upright part) had a long shelf with a high edge
which was divided into bins for hardware and tools.  It was a very nice
feature.  The Art Inst Chicago has some very elegant carts with nice rubber
bumpers and removable parts so that the cart could be reconfigured
depending on the size of the object to be transported.   Here at the
Guggenheim, we have very servicable carts, sort of like the DIA's, but we
have brakes on them because of the ramps.

I'd like to hear ideas from others!

Suzanne

Suzanne Quigley
Head Registrar, Collections and Exhibitions
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
1071 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10128
212 423 3568