From:
Julie Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 16:36:33 -0500
Anne,

I would contact the Image Permanence Institute.  They are attached to the
Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, NY.  Their Director Jim
Reilly is an amazing resource.

https://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org/

The IPI received a National Endowment for the Humanities grant to create a
seminar titled "Sustainable Preservation Practices" which deals extensively
with the issues you are dealing with.  They are holding regional workshop
around the country.  The session in the south was just this week.  I
attended the session for New England back in October and it was amazingly
informative.   They are also holding a series of webinars throughout the
year on various issues - all of this is listed on their website.

I am sure someone at the IPI could point you to a consultant in your area if
you wanted a comprehensive assessment of your building.

The institution I work for, the Litchfield Historical Society, received a
NEH Sustaining Cultural Heritage Planning Grant in the summer of 2010.  It
allowed an architect, engineer and museum conservator to visit our museum
(we have four buildings) and review the exterior, interior and HVAC systems
in each building.  They each wrote up an individual report and submitted
them to me.  It was hands down one of the most informative experiences.  I
have such a better handle on the nuances of each building and how the
environment outside effects the building and interior environment.  It is an
exercise I think everything institution would benefit from.

Good luck!

Julie Leone
Curator of Collections
Litchfield Historical Society