From:
Sandra Huber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2007 15:59:57 -0500
ANNUAL CONFERENCE
CALL FOR PROPOSALS

Spaces for Learning
Hosted by The Morgan Library & Museum
Monday, May 21, 2007

With the recent wave of museum expansion and increased demand for space,
museum educators are faced with the question, ¡§Is there space for
learning?¡¨ Physical space is often what shapes first impressions of a
museum. However, bricks and mortar alone do not dictate learning. From
off-site and outdoor programming to websites, educators constantly seek ways
to create innovative and necessary spaces for learning to take place. This
conference will provide a forum to discuss how space affects formal and
informal learning.

NYCMER invites proposals for sessions in panel, workshop, roundtable or
moderated discussion format. We are interested in creating a provocative and
diverse program for this conference and welcome proposals from museums of
every discipline, as well as all program areas within institutions.  We will
also entertain proposals that include building and landscape architects.
Sessions should allow attendees to explore, learn, participate and share
their own experiences.

In keeping with this year¡¦s theme, consider how the space of your
institution drives your education programs.  How have you adapted to a space
to meet the needs of your audience. How have you used physical, outdoor or
cyber-space creatively for an education program?  Has your institution gone
through expansion, closure for renovation or moved to a new building?  How
have you participated in these physical changes and kept a public face on
your institution?

Submission Requirements:
Sessions should provide professionals at all stages of their careers with
relevant applications. Sessions are expected to accommodate approximately 50
participants for a 90-minute program.

Your session submission must:
„h Be completed fully (please indicate if a section is not applicable)
„h Include a session chair
„h Confirm participation of all presenters
„h Contain at least one presenter who is currently working in a museum or
museum service agency.
„h Consent to the terms of the session chair agreement
„h Reflect a variety of perspectives and disciplines

Questions may be directed to:
Sandra Huber, NYCMER Conference Chair, (212) 360-8243 or

Proposals should be submitted by February 22, 2007 to:

Mail: 	Sandra Huber, Curator
	Historic House Trust of New York City
	830 Fifth Avenue, Room 203
	New York, NY  10021

Fax: 	(212) 360-8201

Email: 	[log in to unmask]

The Call for Proposals form is also available at www.nycmer.org

Proposal receipt will be confirmed via email on February 23, 2007

Session Proposal Form

1. Session Title (7-10 words)

2. Session Overview (500 words or less). Please include the following
elements in your session summary.
„h Focus:  describe the issue or challenge the session will address.  What
are the major points to be covered?
„h Fitting the theme:  How does your session address the conference theme,
Spaces for Learning?
„h Outcomes: what will attendees gain, learn, or be able to do after
attending the session.
„h Audience: describe the intended audience.
„h Vision: describe the implications this issue might have for the future of
the museum field.

3. Session Summary for the final program. (not to exceed three sentences)

4. Chairperson
As a session chairperson, you are responsible for planning the session from
conception to delivery and all communications between the conference
sponsors and your presenters.  The session chairperson must consent to the
Session Chairperson Agreement.

	Name
	Title
	Institution
	Address

	Telephone
	Fax
	E-mail
	Qualifications (100 words or less)

5. Presenters
Attach additional sheets as necessary.  Preference will be given to those
proposals that have presenters confirmed.

	1. Name

Title
	Institution

	Address

	Telephone
	Fax
	E-mail
	Qualifications (100 words or less)

2. Name
	Title
	Institution
	Address

	Telephone
	Fax
	E-mail
	Qualifications (100 words or less)

	3. Name
	Title
	Institution
	Address

	Telephone
	Fax
	E-mail
	Qualifications (100 words or less)

5. Format (please check one)
____ Panel
A discussion format consisting of a chair and no more than three presenters
who give brief presentations on one topic from multiple points of view.

____ Workshop
A hands-on, intensive learning experience where participants learn specific
skills or techniques.

____Roundtable
This format consists of questions and answers between a subject matter
expert and practitioners.  This format allows the subject matter expert to
ask probing questions of the practitioners to get answers to real situations
and offer a broad perspective of multiple viewpoints.

____Moderated Discussion
A discussion that offers opposing points of view that is facilitated by the
chairperson who moderates the discussion in a debate format.

6. Equipment Needs
____ VCR/TV

____ LCD Projector

____Other (i.e. flip chart, slide projector, etc¡K)

Equipment  Needs:  LCD projectors are available in presentation rooms.
Presenters must provide all other equipment and necessary cables.
Presentations utilizing the Internet should download local versions of web
pages in advance of the presentation.

Session Chairperson Agreement
If my session proposal is accepted, as Session Chairperson, I will agree to
the following:

„h That the scheduling of my session is at the discretion of the conference
organizers, without exception.
„h Bring 40 copies of a session outline to distribute to session attendees.
„h Inform my presenters of all expectations and deadlines provided by the
conference organizers.
„h Facilitate the session completely including time-keeping, audio-visual
coordination, information integration, etc.
„h Convey to all my presenters that they must register for the conference
(Session chair and 2 presenters will be admitted to the conference for free.
Additional presenters will pay full conference price.).
„h Conduct a conference call or other form of meeting with my presenters in
advance of the conference to provide overall guidance on session
organization, content, expectations, handouts and learning objectives.

____ By checking this box, you agree to fulfill these expectations.  If you
do not check this box, your session proposal is not complete and will not be
considered by the program committee.

Get live scores and news about your team: Add the Live.com Football Page
www.live.com/?addtemplate=football&icid=T001MSN30A0701