From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2008 08:39:39 -0700
Ah - the question of the ages - How to Watch Paint Dry!
Well, first it depends on what kind of paint it is. Oil based paints, Alkyd,
Latex all have different base systems / drying properties (oil/epoxy/water)
and so the "How Long" question depends. Also it is very dependent on things
like temperature, relative humidity, and air exchange. But what you really
want to know is not only when the paint cures but also stops offgassing.
Your best bet is to go for certified low VOC paints. You might want to
investigate the new ceramic paints (
http://homerepair.about.com/od/interiorhomerepair/ss/ceramic_paint.htm)

Your best bet is to try to plan on leaving several weeks between painting
and installation of art and objects - but I have seen exhibitions where
literally art is hung even while the paint is still wet (not a recommended
practice!). You can speed up the curing / drying process by increasing air
circulation. But as a conservator I am always in favor of proper planning
rather than trying to push a property of a material because of a deadline.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator