From:
"James J. Reca" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 20:07:33 -0500
On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, lshaffer wrote:

> I am developing a case study for contemporary art museums.  The study
> will focus on contemporary art exhibition that are designed
> specificially for families.  If anyone can identify an exhibition or
> museums that develop exhibitions target to families, please let me
> know.  Thank you.

The Knoxville Museum of Art is currently working on an upcoming
exhibition titled "Awakening the Spirits: Sculpture by Bessie
Harvey" (4 April-27 July 1997), which will be the first major
museum retrospective of Ms. Harvey, a self-taught African-American
artist who lived and worked in Alcoa, just south of Knoxville.

As part of this exhibition, the Museum is partnering with both
Austin-East High School, an inner-city school in Knoxville, and
the Alcoa High School.  Their students and faculty are involved
in researching the life of Ms. Harvey, creating responsive artwork,
writing poems, essays, and music which will be performed during
the exhibition, are organizing related community events and tours
of the exhibition, and will serve as docents during the exhibition.

The thrust of this endeavor is to actively involve not only the
students and their parents, but the entire inner-city community.

Additional information can be obtained from Sara Kramer, Education
Director, at 423-525-6101, or e-mail to [log in to unmask] with an
ATTENTION: SARA KRAMER line at the top of the text.

Perhaps this will provide some direct or related material for your
study.

--Jim Reca