From:
Susan Ruderman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2011 16:58:52 -0500
I'm in the Boston area and have been on both sides of the equation
(renting out and also booking event locations), so perhaps I can be of
some assistance with Question #1 (rates).

The biggest variable is amenities.  Does the location offer abundant
parking?  If so, the price can be higher than a location that does not.
What is the catering arrangement?  Can the renter bring in his or her
own caterer or must the party choose from a specific list?  Alcohol and
liability insurance rider? Are there tables already or must those also
be rented?  Is janitorial service included in the rate, or must that be
paid separately? Is a detail cop required by town by-law?  Is there
seasonal outdoor space (e.g., for a tent) or indoor only?  Is the
property in tip-top shape or is it looking a little shabby?  Do you want
to give discounts to non-profit groups and charge premiums for private
parties?  Are there "members" of the organization who will expect a
considerable discount?  If you need a two-tier (or more) pricing system,
you will want to make sure that the average still meets the budget line.

So there are lots of questions to be answered in order to price the
location appropriately for the market.  Without knowing what it is, I
can't say for certain, but I will say that Boston organizations without
(paid) staff frequently fall in the $50-$350 per hour rate, with
$200-$250 per hour seeming to be a very common price.

By the way, as far as compensating the event staff person, the one
method you listed that I would avoid is percentage-based.  It can build
in the wrong kinds of  incentives and put the property more at risk than
straightforward salary.

Good luck,
Susan Ruderman

--