From:
"Samuel D. Tanner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 21:26:00 GMT
>I will have to disagree with you on this one.  A recent graduate myself,
>and an intern at Arizona State Museum led to three job offers before I
>finished my MA.  I did not have an "inside track" on any of these jobs or
>3-5 years experience.  Old fashioned networking and asking people the right
>questions can open many doors. Do not limit your possibilities because you
>never know where they might lead.

Stop and think for a minute about the people who do not get the job
you for which you apply. In any given position there are a number of
people who do not even get an interview, then a certain number who get
one interview, and even a smaller number who get a second interview
before the postion is awarded. The point is for every person who gets
a position there is a large number of people who are qualified and
worked just as hard as you did, but only one person could get the
position. I have been looking for almost 9 months, networking, sending
blind resumes, using Adviso, and searching the internet but have found
absolutly nothing in or out of the museum world. I applaud you for
getting three offers, but not everyone is that lucky.

We all had delusions in our head
We all had our minds made up for us
We all had to believe in something
So we did