From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 12:23:35 EST

I too, would think an archaeological excavation of the new garden bed would
be a great project. I don't know what was there before Strawberry Banke was
established and/or how disturbed the soil strata may be. If it had been a
plowed  field, some artifacts may come up but for a garden, you wouldn't be needing
to  disturb the soils below the plow zone.

But the archaeologists at Strawberry Banke would be familiar with the land
use there and could decide if some testing should be done. Soil core samples
and/or a few judgement test pits would be enough to determine if an
archaeological excavation would be viable. Most likely, any artifacts that  appear will
be from previously disturbed soils, etc.

Creating a flowerbed right outside a historic house (I've done this at 2
Victorian homes I've rented) is always interesting. The artifacts from these
middens can tell us a lot about the occupants - what they ate, from the dishes
they used, etc. One midden, I chose to not disturb but were eroded out. I
rarely  find anything intact and hadn't come across any coins (yet). But whatever I
may  find, I usually incorporate into the garden.

Where I live now - the soil around the house had already been
much-disturbed...but I did find a metal toy pistol from the 1950's. I could  still read the
name on it and looked it up on the internet and it is very  collectible - had
it been in good condition, it would have been worth a few  hundred.

Glad that you mentioned this John - I think even if the soil is
disturbed...the children could learn something from a little arch. excavation.  If this
had been an original historic garden, seeds can sometimes be found in  soil
samples.

Pam

In a message dated 1/25/2007 11:20:33 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,