From:
Julia Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:47:27 -0500
I'm glad that Liz received good advice and the situation is resolved,
but I also want to weigh in.

At my former employer, where we had a very mature board/committee
system, the process was that the committees would do the "work" and
bring recommendations to the full board during their allotted committee
reporting time at the next board meeting.  The board would trust that
the committees had done the process correctly, might ask a few questions
but would typically ratify whatever decision the committee had made.
The only time when this would cause a problem was if an action came up
between board meetings, which were held every other month.  Sometimes
the board's executive committee could ratify the decision in the absence
of the full board, depending upon the magnitude of the action.

Something as vital as a new logo name that has long-term implications to
the organization should probably have been brought before the full board
prior to notifying the winner, but of course that's hindsight.  In the
excitement of the contest it is easy to let protocol slide, especially
if there is a time crunch.

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator
Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN