From:
Donna Nortman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2012 00:02:02 -0400
Hello List -

Here is a question for you, that may be nit-picking but I am
concerned.Board members at our historical society are considering having
a garage sale to raise funds.They would like to ask the public to donate
items for us to sell, all proceeds going to our museum.  Our collections
policy states that donations be considered for the collection first, and
if an item doesn't fit, then we first try to find another institution to
take it before selling it.

My concern - how do we separate these donations from our collections
policy?I question if items are donated that should really be added to
our collection vs being sold.I had thought that if this was held
separate from the society, i.e. a group holding a fund-raiser for us at
another location vs. having people drop items off at our museum, then we
could avoid the policy.   I have also been asked to send an e-mail to
our membership asking them for donations for this sale, leaving
donations at the historical society.

I would like to hear from institutions that have dealt with this type of
thing before; how did you handle donations, can you do this type of
things with a collections policy in place,  should I be concerned?Or am
I making a mountain out of a molehill?

Thanks -

Donna