From:
"Tom D. Bennett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:24:35 -0500
Cate:
I'm a bit surprised at the small number of responses you've recieved on this.

Since I'm involved with a couple of smaller museums who have websites, and along with exhibit work I build computers for them as well, I've had a number of conversations on this subject.

My opinion is that between the proliferation of museums in past years and the growing importance of audience attraction, not the least of which is reaching out to home-bound and disabled, Online exhibits are very much in the future of museums everywhere.

The reality is that museums are competing with a growing number of entertainment venues and industries.  Not only for dollars, but visitors as well.

If a museum website is well designed it can, and should, present the museum as a destination AND attempt to use this new medium to educate its visitors about its collections, exhibits, programs, etc.  Chances are great that those who stay at the site long enough to wander through a virtual exhibit are not the people who can or would go to the museum anyway.  At least not on a regular basis.

I think that presenting exhibits online does more, for far less money, in terms of outreach, than a traveling display.  Those who would attend the real exhibit are by and large those who would do so even if they had seen the online exhibit.

It seems to me that those who express concern on this subject are forgetting the strength of human nature to see the real thing as opposed to a representation.

Tom Bennett