From:
Audra Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:36:05 -0500
What I have found with the archival forms is that some of them can be
altered pretty easily. For instance, the ones I am most familiar with
have a stockinette type covering over padding over foam.  Take them down
to the foam and you find foam blocks that can be spread apart or removed
as needed to change the shape.  Of course they work best if you start
with one close to the size you need but you can do a lot of modification
relatively quickly.  I haven't used mannequins per se but the forms.

>>> Candace Perry <[log in to unmask]> 1/14/2011 9:21 AM >>>

Of course you*re right; the key is to not force anything and be
gentleand insofar as I have used them with the padding out, they have
worked. However, we do use them with 18th century garments, and with
everything else, only the costumes that are sturdy enough for exhibition
on them.  I don*t want to seem irresponsible by ourchasing Dorfman
mannequins!