From:
Terrie Nolinske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:08:34 -0600
I've been interested in the thread about mission statements.  In
addition to my work with museums, I teach in a graduate school of business.
Students consistently think of a mission and vision statement as being
interchangeable, which isn't true, although both are part of strategic
planning.

Developing a mission statement is one of the first steps in planning. The
mission statement should answer the question -- What is the purpose of
this organization?  Why are we here?

The vision statement should answer the question --  Where are we going?

When I do strategic planning work with clients, we always work in half to
full day time blocks away from the work site (at the very least in
uninterrupted space). I think it's also important to let time elapse between
planning meetings, to let those ideas simmer before regrouping to meet
again,

Using small group discussions, facilitated exercises and activities,
combined with individual thinking and work gives the best results. As does a
group that includes Board members, several volunteers and a staff rep from
every department in the organization.  Including staff from multiple levels
in the oragnizational hierarchy helps make sure that multiple interests are
represented and that those voices are heard.

Kind regards,
Terrie
Terrie Nolinske, Ph.D.

Principal
TNI Consultants in Professional Development
930 North Boulevard
Oak Park, IL 60301
708. 386. 1331 (phone)

www.tniconsultants.com