From:
"Coppinger, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:27:34 +1000
ed-online  http://www.mov.vic.gov.au/ed-online/

Dear colleague,

A lot has happened in the last 10 weeks since the launch of the ed-online
project at Museum Victoria. We hope that the resources you find online will
be of use to school communities across Australia and the world. We look
forward to your comments and feedback.

1. Competitions for Teachers, Students and Parents
2. Australia's BIGGEST FAMILY ALBUM - Online image database!
3. Hear Her Voice - Women in the Migration process
4. Online shop -  Unique products online
5. Resources online!

============
1.Win Big Prizes!
============

Museum Victoria has just launched two exciting and very simple competitions,
each with the opportunity to win Apple iMac computers, IMAX tickets and
copies of the new People Place and Time CD-Rom.

To view the details of these competitions, please follow this link.

http//www.mov.vic.gov.au/ed-online/forums/comps.htm

=========================
2.People Place and Time CD-Rom
=========================

Museum Victoria has also just released it's People Place and Time CD-Rom.

We have collected photographs of a range of human activities in Victoria's
and Australia's past, dating from the 1870s to the 1950s. Here, you can
access our database of over 9,000 photographs. Known as the Biggest Family
Album in Australia, you can search it using a wide range of criteria
including topic, concept, activity, place and date.

A range of classroom activities, interactive online tasks and textual
information have been developed to assist students and teachers in accessing
the database. Activities have been designed to introduce primary and
secondary students to the use of photographs as sources of information and
understanding of the past.

One single user copy will be circulated FREE of CHARGE to every Victorian
School. Every school in Australia will soon be receiving a fax outlining the
Biggest Family Album Project and how to purchase single user or site
licenses online!

For more information on this project or the accompanying CD-Rom, please view
the link;

The Biggest Family Album Project      http//www.mov.vic.gov.au/bfa/

=============
3. Hear Her Voice
=============

Hear Her Voice presents the stories of women in the migration process. It
looks at their dreams, aspirations, family ties, disappointments and
achievements, while capturing some of the diversity of cultural background,
patterns of immigration and experiences of settling.

Primary source material is in the form of transcripts, audio, video,
photographs, objects and facsimiles of letters and immigration documents.
Hyperlinks allow students access to this material, including the complete
transcripts.

Two new stories have just been added.  This is NOT to be missed!

==========
4. Shoponline
==========

Museum Victoria's publications aim to improve 'understanding of ourselves
and the world in which we live.' The museum is a small publisher rich in
collections and curatorial expertise. Its book range is extensive-from
academic papers to glossy coffee table books.

In general, the museum publishes monographs (scholarly works), special
interest books, (authoritative books for wide audience); reference books,
guides, catalogues, surveys, children's books (up to 12 year-olds),
education kits, publications supporting school curricula or museum's
educational programs and richly illustrated coffee table books.

Buy and MV CD-Rom online and win an Apple IMac computer!

Shoponline at           http://www.commercesuite.com.au/mv/

==========
5. Resources:
You can even write reviews of our resources when searching the resources
database at

http//www.mov.vic.gov.au/ed-online/resources/

We look forward to seeing you online!

The ed-online team!