From:
David Haynes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:11:18 -0600
On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:09:15 -0800 Nesdon Booth <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> All of David's comments seem to apply primarily to history museums.

I'm having a hard time understanding the above point. As far as I can
tell the other David H. is contending that the aspect of an institution
that defines it as a museum is the fact that it has and cares for a
collection of real objects. Seems to me that this definition applies
across the board to institutions interested in all types of disciplines.
Thus, all other things being equal, an institution that has real historic
artifacts, natural history specimens, work of art, or scientific
instruments would be a museum and an institution that does not would be
something else.

> There is a disturbing parochialism in these remarks. I really don't see
the
> harm in a more inclusive essence.

The harm is the same as calling the Metropolitan Museum of Art the best
school in New York. While the institution may have a terrific teaching
program and even the average visitor may learn a great deal while just
wandering around, it is not essentially a school. When the average person
hears the word 'school,' he envisions rows of desks, a 1:30
teacher/student ratio, a blackboard, and spit wads. The fact that none of
these things apply to the average school today makes no difference--this
is what people mean by the word 'school.' 'Museum,' on the other hand
means a place where there's a bunch of stuff, most of it out of sight.
The in-sight stuff is in glass cases up and down the walls in each room.
Again, it doesn't matter whether this picture is currently detail
correct, it is what the vast majority of people think the word describes.

Happy trials,  David

David Haynes     [log in to unmask]      San Antonio

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.