From:
David Haynes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 10:16:31 -0600
Once again I find myself in 100% agreement with David, but this time I'm
going to say so. I have been on both sides of this fence, and I
wholeheartedly agree that a written agreement between the museum and the
outside photographer is extremely important. I suppose the museum could
use a boilerplate form, but it is probably better to have a local
attorney draw one up that follows the laws that apply in your particular
place (while copyright is national, ownership and other rights may well
vary from place to place). Not all lawyers are equally competent to deal
with this sort of thing, of course, and many museums don't have ready
access to an intellectual property practitioner, but the museum
administration must take this matter seriously and do the best it can.
The reason that civil laws and lawyers are necessary, after all, is that
what you and I recognize as absolutely reasonable, obvious, moral, and
straightforward is not so recognized by everyone else. Happy trials.
David

David Haynes     [log in to unmask]      San Antonio

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.