From:
David Lewias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 00:33:58 -0500
I was also going to suggest you search and use public-domain or royalty-free music in your exhibits.? At first finding such music might seem like a daunting task, but thanks to computer based music authoring software such as "Garage Band" and "Creative Commons" licensing it's now becoming fairly easy.

Here are three sites to get you started...

www.creativecommons.org
Explore their website to learn about the various usage rights, and then search/explore the directories of content providers...? there are thousands!
?
www.archive.org
This is an amazing source for all sorts of interesting and usable things -- audio, video, written text, old websites, and more! (and most is in the public domain or Creative Commons Licensed). ? For your background music needs, you might check out their section with vintage wax cylinder and early 78 RPM recordings -- complete with cracks and pops that add ambiance.? Although I am *not* an expert, it's my understanding through reading post on their forums that because these recordings are more than 75 years old, they fall under the "public domain."

www.macjams.com
My favorite source for amateur/independent music.? Some is good, some not so good, but this site is nicely indexed, and has a variety of different tunes that can be used to set most any mood.? In addition to most work being CC Licensed, I've found the artists posting here to be very accessible, and willing to allow their work to be used in various museum exhibits and programs in exchange for credit, and perhaps a free plug where appropriate.

?- David -
David Lewis, curator
Aurora Regional Fire Museum