From:
Karla Strand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 13:54:45 -0500
Chris, Shawn and Martin,

I can't thank you enough for your quick responses.  I have to admit that I don't know a whole lot about archival work, so I had no idea about the library science end of it.  I had looked into a few schools here in WI and it seemed the choices for me were history or public history, where they offered specializations in archives or preservation.  The public history wasnt offered at my top choice school, so I thought I was at a dead end.  But after you all mentioned library science, I did some more looking and that is (obviously) offered and the department works hand in hand with our state historical society.  It sounds like a great program and I think I have found my direction now.  I was really worried about not being able to find a job as a history teacher, especially since I am not real willing to relocate out of state.  I hope that I'll have better luck in archives/library science.

I am planning on trying to find a position (volunteer or paid) somewhere in the history/living history/archives/whatever will take me field to get some experience, but is there any other advice any of you can give to help me prepare now for getting a job later?  I guess I have been focusing on trying to get experience in the field in some way, because I think that is key, but are there any other lil nuggets of wisdom you can offer a girl??  :)  Thanks again!  This seems like a very interesting list.  :)

Karla

"Good luck, boy, take it easy, but take it."
               *~*Woody Guthrie*~*
  Karla,

  If you are truly considering an archival job, you should really get a Masters in Library Science.  You can get an archive job with a history degree, especially if you get a certificate in archival studies, but the higher paying jobs require an MLS.  It is a much easier to land a good job with an MLS.  I also started out with the intent of pursuing a PhD and teaching.  My professors talked me out of it.  The history field is saturated with PhDs and finding a good job is hard.  You can't justify the student loans or tuition payments required to get your PhD unless you graduate at the top of your class at an ivy league school (and even then it is a matter of luck.)

  Internships are the best way to get any job.  They provide hands-on experience and plenty of opportunities to make contacts.  I owe my career to internships.  I have a MA, but that did not help me as much as the experience I received while working.  Internships can also provide you with some money while you are in school.

  Good luck.

  Chris Gordon
  Director
  Henry County Museum