From:
Julie Carmen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:28:06 -0600
Hello Jacqueline,

I am a graduate student at Emporia State University's Colorado chapter in
Library Science. I took a class last fall called "Archives in the Park".
This partnership between ESU faculty and the Rocky Mountain National Park
(in Estes Park, CO), proved to be a fantastic learning experience, and
allowed the faculty, volunteers, and students to provide some archiving
services to the park.  Projects and events were created to provide students
learning experience in the following areas: Copy Cataloging, Creating
Finding Aids for Museum Artifacts, Repairing and Preservation for Paper
Archives, Historical Study of the Local Area, and Digitization of
Collections.

Students pay for the 3 credits and a lab fee to the university.  Faculty are
paid by the university in order to come out and teach their speciality.
This year the lead instructor was Randy Silverman, Preservation Librarian at
Marriott Library, University of Utah.  Nancy Thomas, faculty with ESU, and
William Butler, archaeologist with NPS, are named as the responsible persons
that put this course idea together.  With the ESU instructors who
have helped over the past 9 years I'm not sure if their expenses are covered
or not.

Volunteers come out for a week as well, usually professionals from museums
and libraries that have graduated from ESU and have taken this course
before.  They come back as volunteers to support this educational event.
They are put up in the private homes of the Friends of the Library and
Friends of the Museum, and I do not know if their expenses to come out are
covered or not. The students are put up in the Research Facility at the
park, which helped defray cost for staying a week in Estes Park.

We had a professional archivist and museum curator provided from the park,
and local historians that came to give tours and talks about the pioneers of
the area. I can give you full details of this course as I wrote a
documentary for my class.. I am also preparing an article for the park about
this course as well as one for the university.

Park rangers or Park employees involved in this course include:

Larry Frederick, Chief of Interpretation from RMNP
Judy Visty, NPS Park Ranger and Ecologist
William (Bill) Butler,RMNP archaeologist
Cheri Yost, NPS Ranch Manager
Christy Baker, Museum Curator at RMNP(past), now Librarian at Estes Park
Library
Tim Burchett, Museum Curator at RMNP
Sybil Barnes, RMNP Librarian

This course gave free hours of skilled service to the NPS's museum and
library's collections, and also the local town's museum and library.  The
collaboration between the Park and ESU have provided nine years of
successful projects and helped educate new professionals in the field.  Some
would say that they want seasoned students that come to work on their
collections, because they already come with experience.  However, with the
oversight of the professionals that are provided by the Park, the
university, and the libraries, the treatment of the collections have been
outstanding.  Interestingly, the students that are fairly new to the field
of librarianship, archives, and preservation, say that this type of diverse
course gave them enough experience in many areas, that it later helped them
shape their course of study for the rest of their education.

I'm very happy that this is continually being researched and designed.  I
think more classes that offer college credit for hands on experience is a
positive networking tool, that benefits many and develops the professional
base for libraries, museums, and archives.
Best of luck to you with your paper and let me know if you need anything
more from me.

Warm regards,

Julie