From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:45:16 EDT

Julia, I can address a little into the music part..any money-making venue
that plays music, pays a royalty fee. Bars, clubs, stores...and radio stations.
I believe the fee is collected on behalf of the songwriter - whom maintain
'ownership' of publishing rights for the song, not to the performer (unless
they  are one and the same).

For radio stations - I really can't recall if it's a per day charge. I  think
so and that's why you'll often hear the same song played over and over  again
-it will cost the radio station the same price whether they play it once,  or
10 times a day.

Sorry - this is going way back, more than a decade when I attended some
workshops on the biz. I was thrilled to have a chance to speak one on one with
the likes of Bobby Wienstein (co-wrote 'Going Out of My Head') who was the
President of BMI, George David Weiss ('The Lion Sleeps Tonight'), President of  he
Songwriter's Guild of America (of which I am a former member) and..hehe the
most awesome Dan Hartman (one-hit wonder of the 80's) who played bass for 4
years with the Edgar Winter Group (he also wrote, sang and played the song
'Freeride') and I thought it was really kewl that his neighbor in Westport was
'Meatloaf" and they hung out together!

But a song like 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight' has been re-recorded (The Lion
King) and the original singer does not profit from the subsequent recording by
another. Thanks to songwriter's publishing rights organizations, etc., the
songwriter can continue to benefit.

So obviously these aspects of the music business have very little to  do with
an honorarium paid to an artist for exhibiting their material in a  museum! A
publication that the museum may produce for the exhibit, particularly  if
it's for profit -is also another issue altogether.

The artist may gain more recognition/prestige from an exhibit - but that
does not guarantee that they will profit directly. Not all of the work on
exhibit will necessarily be for sale either. All the more reason that an
honorarium, whether to cover expenses or not - is a sound, ethical  jesture,

Pam

In a message dated 9/28/2005 12:34:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,