From:
Henry Grunder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:32:03 EST
A number of yesrs ago, at the (then) Virginia State Library and
Archives, the late William J. Barrow experimented with a
gas-phase deacidification process using _morpholine_, an amine.
To make a long story short, a.) the process was found to be
efficacious, in that it did indeed deacidify, i.e., raise the
pH of the books and archives thus treated; but b.) the community of
interest decided - you might say, changed the rules - that it
_also_ wanted a residual buffering capacity . . . which the
morpholine process, alas, did not offer. So, it fell into
desuetude (there were other problems, too, such as the fact
that amines are almost always carcinogens); but the lack of
buffering was enough. I believe that the story is told more
completely in the literature. If anyone wants to know more,
either buzz me off-list, or write me.
Henry Grunder
Conservation/Preservation Coordinator
The Library of Virginia