Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 13:24:42 EST
This tardy response ("Usual Disclaimers") is due to an
overloaded mailbox. Let me say how surprised I was to see that
"Zero Based Budget" as a decision process was not only_ not_
relegated to the ashheap of history, but is _actually being
seriously considered for use_! Brainchild of Peter Pyhrr,q.v.,
darling of the hapless Jimmy Carter, this gimmick - which all
sounds so good - was skewered and, so one would have thought,
given the coup de grace by the late Aaron Wildavsky, q.v.
True, Wildavsky's criticisms - basically, it can't work,
because the burden of decision if you go start over again in
each budget cycle, is simply too great; use of a base of
existing decisions not allowed, or else it isn't really "zero
based," is it? - is probably a matter
of scale. But, then, the amount of decision resource to use is
scale-dependent, too.
What usually happens is that, like most decision processes,
something rather different is done - even if called ZBB -
simply because most administrators/managers don't really know
any better. Nobody ever said that only the best and the
brightest become administrators/managers. Dilbert lives!
Did I say "Usual disclaimers?"
According to Patricia Hamilton: