From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 17:16:06 -0600
Carol:

You wrote:
> Excuse me, "sick urge"?
> No one is editing the photograph. The photograph stands
for
> itself. The memorial is NOT the photograph. That's the
point
> of the memorial, and the point of my post.
> Carol Ely

Editing the truth is sickening, considering the monument is
based on the real-life moment captured in the photograph.
It's typically referred to as "historical revisionism."  The
urge to revise history, to present it other than it really
was, is sickening to me.  (Editing the truth while under
oath is also considered a no-no?  But our national monuments
should have a lower standard?)  To separate the photograph
from the monument is incredibly insulting to those three men
who did what they did.  The designers chose this moment as
inspirational for a monument . . . so, let them represent
that moment as it occurred!

This proposed multi-racial representation of a uni-racial
moment, while meant to be inclusive, is troubling because it
is a misrepresentation of a verifiable truth.  This monument
is meant to be around for generations to come, and future
generations should be told the truth.  Or do you feel
comfortable with deceiving and lying to future generations?

Might as well throw out the history textbooks and give
school children Mad magazine.  Better yet, have them get
their current events from watching "Weekend Update" on
Saturday Night Live rather than Dan Rather, Peter Jennings,
CNN, the New York Times, the Washington Post.  That would be
just as pitiful as misrepresenting the moment when those
three firefighters raised the flag.

I've said my piece.  We'll just have to wait and see what
monument gets made.

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)     342-2376 (fax)       www.joslyn.org

Copyright retained.  My opinions - no one else's.  If you
have a problem with what I wrote, take it up with me
personally.  If this is illegal where you are, do not read
it!