From:
Ann Trowbridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 17:21:06 -0400
I believe the reasons for declines in real earnings for some architects
(especially those in small or sole practitioner firms) are very complex
and not especially related to licensing laws (which can vary
significantly from state to state and country to country).  In
Pennsylvania,  my understanding is that engineers, interior designers
and contractors cannot practice architecture or own more than a third of
firms that do.  The architectural economic trends probably reflect that
we must do more work and carry higher overhead costs for a smaller piece
of the construction pie than we previously did.

On the volunteer intern issue -- several years ago the national
architectural student association, got together and lobbied to prevent
firms that do not pay their intern architects in a proper legal way from
receiving various prestigious architectural awards. (intern architects
are recent graduates with professional degrees).  I believe that they
have been somewhat successful, though my firm has long had a policy of
not hiring unpaid volunteers and was not a target.

Ann Trowbridge, AIA