From:
Deb Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 16:56:41 -0700
As a "reenactor"/living historian type, I would like to get paid for gigs that
I show up to in funny clothes but understand that museums just don't have the
budget for it all the time.

But before I go on - consider this: a reenactor has several hundred to several
thousand dollars of clothing, equipment, and other gear on him or her for the
time period and persona that he/she is portraying. My Roman outfit is the
cheapest being about $10 worth of fabric, $30 worth of leather, a $10 drop
spindle, and about $10 worth of wool roving to spin. This is why I got into
Roman reenacting - for women, it's really cheap. (That and I had 5 years of
Latin I wanted to do something with.) Contrast this with a legionare in my unit
who comes with around $1000+ worth of armor, $50-$200+ worth of fabric and
leather, and $300+ worth of weapons - most of which was handmade by the person
wearing it because there just isn't a lot of good Roman reproduction stuff out
there these days.

For Colonial units, muskets are at least $700 and up not to mention cost for
powder. I don't know a unit from any time period that has a full uniform for
under $2000 except maybe the sailors in my 1812 navy unit because they don't
have fancy coats. The Vikings might get off cheaper for their clothing as well
but their weapons and armor are pricey.

Then there is the time and money spent on research. A lot of us are chronic
bookworms and have libraries that rival most museums. Many people handsew their
clothes and handmake their accessories because they want to be as accurate as
possible or good repros just aren't available. We're the type of people that
can't watch the stupid " *Insert period here* House" shows (like Colonial House
or that god-awful Frontier House) because we go out and do the same stuff every
weekend, do it better and do it more accurately. Needless to say, reenactors
are never picked for those shows.

So consider those facts when you think about paying reenactors.

But the reality:

I agree with David Harvey that if you get someone who is a "speciality" persona
reenactor - i.e. someone who has researched a historic person in detail and
portrays them well - and they are a "main feature" for your program, they
should get an honorarium. I'd say that $300-$1000/day is a fair market price
but if $50 or $100 is all you really can afford, then offer that and think
about how you can either increase attendance or make more money on the event.

If you can pay units say $50 or $100 for a reenactment, that would be great as
well. That's money the unit can use to pay for insurance, equipment, rig, and
other unit expenses. If you can only afford mileage for each person, that would
be appreciated too.

Most reenactors won't expect to get paid for "big gigs" like battles,
encampments, historical timelines, etc. and understand that there is just not
enough money to pay everyone even $10. But you should provide or offer to
provide a few meals during the event. Most groups like to do period cooking
during the event so you probably won't have to worry about lunch. But breakfast
and dinner should be offered. And provide good food - I don't mean danishes and
coffee. It's a heck of a lot of work to sweat in period clothes all day long
and deal with the public. Boil some eggs and get some meat to keep people going
for breakfast and at least get a good sandwich platter for dinner. Cold beer
doesn't hurt either - but make sure that you save it for *after* the event. ;)

Like someone else pointed out, if a unit brings period vehicles, livestock, an
exceptional display (my 1812 navy group has a period tavern that we charge
for), or does something else "special", they should be offered an honorarium.
Again, that money goes back into the unit for upkeep of the neat toys. And
gunpowder ain't cheap. $50-$200 for a weekend should be plenty.

If reenactors are needed individually for a program, I'd be expected to be paid
the same as any other guest speaker, if the museum pays for them. Again, I
understand limited budgets but *good* reenactors spend just as much time and
money, if not more, studying their time period, than PhD profs in the field so
I don't see why we should be treated any differently.

So that's my take. I think that if you work with good units that do quality
living history display and take the time to thank them and let them know how
much they are appreciated, they will continue to work with you. But I think
that you should be looking for ways to pay them or at least pay for some of
their expenses because after all, you are making money off of them.

Deb