From:
valerie justin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:54:16 -0500
Since this is my first posting to list members I will introduce myself. I've been involved with flat-woven textiles for 30 years,, based in Manhattan, then Los Angeles. I now live in Sag Harbor. Author of "Flat-Woven Rugs of the World"(Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1980). and articles on rugs and textiles. Have been on Textile Museum Advisory Council, ex-President Textile Museum Associates of Southern California, proprietor of The Pillowry, Los Angeles, a textile/rug gallery. I am curator of and owner of  the exhibit that is the subject of this email.

The exhibit TEXTILES FROM VANISHING CULTURES is available for rental or acquisition. A permanent home is also under consideration. Schools with art departments and textile and/or design departments with study centers would be appropriate. The 43 pieces in the exhibit and its additional textile materials could be used for a variety of exhibition and study purposes. Community-related activities should be available. Americans, despite their diverse origins, are largely separated from the traditional ways of life that are represented here and respond to the warmth the textiles physically and symbolically present and the warmth of the cultures they reflect.

This material is extremely timely due to world events. The largest number of the textiles are from the Near and Middle East and Central Asia. Since the exhibit is based on the slipping away of traditional cultures and their textiles, the labels and photographs as well as the textiles themselves (with kilims, saddle bags, animal trappings and tent furnishings) are directly related to current news in Afghanistan, for example. This exhibit honors these peoples and pays tribute to the weavers, mostly women, the world over.

The exhibit has been shown at a dozen university, college and community galleries throughout the U.S.A. A fact sheet is available on request as is a list of the textiles, slides and photos of installations and related material.

I would greatly appreciate your input for long range planning as well as suggestions for current exhibition. All responses will be treated with discretion. Thank you all.

Sincerely,    Valerie Justin    Tel:631:725-5257.  FAX:631:725-5263