From:
"Janzen, Mark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:34:49 -0600
Hi Bill,

Actually that is good personal marketing, and it is certainly not unethical.

Some people might be a little put off by such forwardness, but most will not take offense to the approach. Many of those resumes will end up in the proverbial "round file", but some may hit a mark now or in the future. You may even get polite responses from a few.

I would suggest that your attached cover letter be mindful of those potential issues and explain clearly why you are interested in being a part of that particular institution(s), how you feel you would be of benefit in a position(s) there, and most importantly what you are doing now or will be doing in the meantime. That will give them the sense that you have though carefully about their institution and its needs, as well as letting them know you are not placing all your eggs in their basket.

You should also do your research and make sure you send your information to the right person at the institution in question. Never send a cover letter to "Whom it may concern"!

Good luck.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collection Manager
Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
316-978-5850