From:
David Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:39:41 -0700
Not getting an interview doesn't necessarily mean your
resume is not constructed well. . . (though it might). . .

Several possibilities:
- We are in an economic downturn, and with all the dot-
com layoffs, we are seeing many more applicants than
we were a year ago.  Generally only 3 - 7 applicants out
of a field of 30 - 50 applications end up getting an interview.. . .
and it isn't always the person with the most experience,
lots of the jobs are either entry level or offer limited
advancement possibilities and we don't want to hire
someone who will become dis-satisfied inside of a year.

- Also a lot depends on if you are sending your resume
for a specific position or are sending it as a general
application for employment. . . it is rare to hire someone
if they have not applied for a specific position.

- Your cover letter is as important or more important
than your resume. . . the letter should give a quick
overview of you and indicate that you have some sense
of the position your are applying for. . . The cover letter
is often what gets noticed and gets you the interview.

Hope this helps. . .
David Taylor
Director of Science & Exhibits
Pacific Science Center