From:
Pamela Silvestri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:18:39 -0400
I don't think you're old fashioned but I also feel that the applicant should take the responsibility to find out more. I will surely call with questions to get a better feel (and clarification) for the hiring process. So if it's an "open until filled" I would definetly call 1st to see if the position is still available before I apply and I'll also ask if there have been any qualified applicants....and if so, if any have been interviewed. Usually an employer will also let me know if anyone has been offered the position.

Also, when I've applied for a position for which closing dates, etc., haven't been stated...I'll call to check on the status of my application.

And I like to follow up -whether I've received an invitation to interview or not, a rejection letter or not.

Most employers will take the time to explain this and? I've found that the information provided has been very useful to me. Here, I can often find out some of the qualifications of the other candidates, etc. too.

One employer told me that he received nearly 400 applications for a single position. Of those, only 165 applications met the qualifications for the position. Of this pool of applicants...40 were considered (I made it this far) and 8 were interviewed. The 40 that were considered...were sent letters. That's a lot of letters and I appreciated knowing that I had made it that far!

I was really surprised to find out that there were so many 'unqualified' applicants, and although these are easily weeded out...it still takes time and is a burden for sure! With this many applicants I can?understand why the employer didn't send letters to applicants who didn't qualify or make the next cut.

A more specific?bit of information I found out (and feel free to share here) had to do with a previous employer being contacted for an employment check/reference. When my former employer was contacted, the prospective employer was told I hadn't worked there!

That's bad, really bad but at least I found out and was able to correct this (I hope). What happened -I had worked several months in a temporary ('special payroll') position and these positions are listed separately...the human resources clerk (new) hadn't known to check on this. Now, I list 'special payroll' as part of my job title.

Again, I believe that the applicant needs to take the responsibility to find out more about a position, check on the status of their application, etc. And?also understand that?a large pool of applicants should not expect a?rejection letter -especially if they didn't meet the qualifications for the position to begin with.

Pam?