From:
Bethany Rutledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:46:54 -0700
Thanks so much for your message, Erin. I don't think
there's a person among us who doesn't appreciate the
intangible rewards of our profession - that incredible
feeling when you look forward to going to work every
day and, as an historian, when you see that look of
recognition in a visitor's eyes and you realize that
you've helped bring the past alive for them for the
first time...

We do make some incredible sacrifices, though. I'm a
Gen-Xer whose been employed full-time in the field for
5 years now who has had to do without some pretty
fundamental things because of my salary, i.e. dental
care and eye care. In 5 years, I've built several
thousand dollars worth of credit card debt that I
never had before. I have no retirement savings, no
equity in a home, and no savings for a home. I can't
afford to travel. I have very, very little money for
clothing, shoes, gifts... the daily stuff of life that
come so easily to my friends and family. Instead of a
husband supporting me in my career, my family has
filled in the gaps for me here and there.

My intention is not to complain, but rather to make
the point that a salary in the high-teens/low-twenties
is next to impossible for a single person to count
upon to make a living. And yet it's still the going
rate for most full-time jobs for museum professionals
with less than 10 years of experience...

I strongly suspect that the only solution for this
problem - other than a sudden, dramatic drop in the
amount of people seeking jobs in museums - is
unionization. I know, there are all kinds of reasons
it's impractical... but there may have seemed just as
many reasons unionization seemed impractical in other
industries that have long since taken that step. If we
stand as a group in a body as large as the membership
of AAM, organize ourselves into occupational
categories, and certify ourselves, we can then demand
a genuine living wage. Does that mean many museums
will have to close and distribute their collections to
others? Sure does. Does that mean that museums will be
centralized with branches a little bit fewer and
farther between? Yep. Does that mean that museum-going
and program participation will no longer be free? Most
likely. But it also means that the museums left over -
the museums who adapt to survive and have the greatest
demand for their services - will be better prepared
financially to care for their collections and to pay a
real living wage to their staff.

Just a few thoughts!

Bethany Rutledge