From:
Linda Norris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:12:48 -0400
Dear Colleagues--

Do you think creativity is someone else’s job at your museum? Do you wish
your colleagues were more creative? Does fear of failure hinder creativity
at your museum? Do you have ideas about how museum work can be more
creative?

I'm pleased to announce the start of a new book project with my colleague
Rainey Tisdale.  *Museums & Creative
Practice*<http://museumsandcreativepractice.wordpress.com/>is a our
effort to understand how we can be more creative museum
workers--how we can embed creative practice in all aspects of all our
work.   We both believe that creative work can—and should-- be a part of
every part of a museum’s efforts, from the gallery attendant’s work to the
director’s.  As both of us travel and visit museums far and near,  we see
that the innovative, compelling museums—of whatever size and discipline,
are ones where the creative process is embraced on many levels.  We’re
curious about how creativity is encouraged and nurtured;  how visitors
respond to expanded creative efforts;   and how creative efforts take form
in different types of museums—from art to science to history.

 We hope many of you will become our colleagues, sharing your perspectives,
your great creative finds, and of course, your creative ideas.  Here’s
where you can find us:

 Talk
 We'll both be at the American Association of Museums
conference<http://www.aam-us.org/am12/>in Minneapolis next week (yes,
this year's conference theme is "Creative
Community") and we are hoping to talk there with as many colleagues as
possible about this project. We're holding two informal Museums & Creative
Practice meet-ups.

   - Monday, April 30, 12:30-2:00. Grab a takeaway lunch and meet us at the
   cafe seating in the lobby of the convention center, near Dunn Bros Coffee
   - Tuesday, May 1, 6:00-7:30. Join us for a drinks and discussion at The
   Local, 931 Nicollet Mall, a few blocks north of the convention center. The
   reservation is under Rainey; we'll be at "Arthur's Table."

 Survey <http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GFYQF3P>
 We want your thoughts on what makes you creative (or not);  on the most
creative museums you know;  and about what you'd like us to think about in
the course of this project.  The survey is short (we promise!) and you can
take it here. <http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GFYQF3P>

New Blog <http://museumsandcreativepractice.wordpress.com/>
 Our work will result in a book, but we have several starting points that
we hope become a part of.  First, a new blog, Museums & Creative
Practice.<http://museumsandcreativepractice.wordpress.com/>
We'll use this space to update our work, to share resources we find, and of
course, to hear back from all of you.

And, just a brief note on getting in touch with me.  A I have a new website
<http://www.riverhillpartners.com/>and will be shifting to a new email
address:  [log in to unmask]

Thanks--and we look forward to hearing your creative thoughts!

Linda

--
Linda Norris

Like museums?  check out my blog  The Uncataloged
Museum<http://uncatalogedmuseum.blogspot.com/>
and learn about Museums & Creative
Practice<http://museumsandcreativepractice.wordpress.com/>
Like food?  Check out The Pickle Project<http://pickleproject.blogspot.com/>